The Top 10 reasons to oppose Gov. Cuomo’s abortion expansion bill
Published on April 27th, 2012
10. It moves New York State in the opposite direction of “safe, legal and rare.”
9. It would undermine maternity and prenatal care programs, which could be ruled “discriminatory” for favoring childbirth over abortion.
8. It could be used to mandate abortion coverage in all insurance plans.
7. It could compel Catholic Charities and Catholic schools to counsel and refer for abortion.
6. It could compel all hospitals, even Catholic hospitals, to allow abortions on premises.
5. It lifts the current age restriction on the purchase of the so-called “morning-after pill” at neighborhood drug stores, allowing girls as young as 11 and 12 to get the drugs without a doctor’s prescription or a parent’s knowledge.
4. It makes abortion immune to common-sense prudent regulations: parental notification for minors’ abortions, restrictions on taxpayer funding, informed consent or a waiting period for pregnant women.
3. By inserting a broad “health” exception into our law, it opens up third-trimester abortions for any reason at all, and invites late-term abortionists into New York State to set up shop to abort viable, fully formed babies.
2. By repealing the requirement in current law that only a licensed physician may perform an abortion, it endangers women’s lives.
Here is our bill memo on the legislation.