President and Diocesan Director, Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Rochester
Published on July 12th, 2021
Under the direction of a Board of Directors, and in consultation with the Office of the Bishop of Rochester, the President and Diocesan Director provides leadership, oversight and centralized support services to CCDOR and its constituent agencies/divisions, each of which acts semi-autonomously with its own boards of directors and by-laws. The position manages an executive staff of five, in addition to the regional executive directors (who are equally responsible to a regional board). The position has historically required frequent travel among the 12 Finger Lakes region counties in which it provides services.
This is a senior level leadership position that requires ability to grasp complex concepts and problems, balance multiple tasks simultaneously and make rapid decisions regarding administrative issues. This position requires the ability to work well with others gracefully under pressure.
The candidate must be a practicing Roman Catholic in good standing with his or her parish, and must have a demonstrable understanding of, and commitment to, Catholic Social Teaching.
Specific Duties To The Ministry:
- Work closely and communicate effectively with the Catholic Charities Diocesan Board of Directors and the Office of the Bishop of Rochester, to oversee overall development and implementation of this ministry.
- Provide advice, information and staff support necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions. Implement Board policies.
- In consultation with the Office of the Bishop and the Board, assure that the CCDOR divisions and affiliated non-profits operate cooperatively and efficiently, under complimentary and up-to-date philosophies, mission statements, strategic plans, and programs that advance and are consistent with Catholic Social Teaching.
- Manage and support the executive directors and boards of CCDOR’s divisions and affiliates.
- Assist the Board in monitoring agency performance relative to goals and budgets.
- Supervise a staff that presently includes a Chief Financial Officer, Human Resources Director, Director of Centralized Compliance and Executive Assistant. Also contract manager under contract with the Diocesan Information Technology Department.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with political, civic, and business leaders of the community to advance CCDOR’s mission, enhance services, and inform public policy.
- Work with regional office Justice and Peace staff, stimulates social ministry awareness among the pastoral leaders of the Diocese, and promote linkages with parishes and other faith communities.
- Convey a vision of the agency’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, and donors.
- Relate to New York State and national Church structures which impact social ministry and hold membership in appropriate state and national bodies on behalf of the Diocese, such as Catholic Charities USA, Catholic Relief Services, and the Catholic Campaign for Human Development.
- Catholic in Good Standing – MANDATORY
- Master’s degree in public administration, business administration, social work, or related fields.
- Ten (10) or more years senior management experience relevant to a social service or human services agency.
- Familiarity with government contracting, particularly in the environment of the state-and- federally-funded human services delivery systems.
- Ability to develop effective relationships with Church, government, business, and civic leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff. Supervisory experience and demonstrated ability to motivate others in a positive manner.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills.